About Me

My photo
Weston Super Mare, Somerset, United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Robin Whitlock. I am a freelance journalist with a special interest in environmental issues and renewable energy. I have numerous published articles to my credit and write regularly for a number of renewable energy websites. I am also a writer for Renewable Energy Magazine and a sub-editor for Renewable Energy Focus. I am currently based in Bristol, UK. Besides renewable energy and green issues I have a wide variety of other interests which includes World War 2, mythology and folklore, gardening, railways and lots more besides. You can also reach me on either of my two email addresses, which are: robinwhitlock66@hotmail.com and robinwhitlock1966@gmail.com Thanks!

Hire Me!!

Hire Me!! - Freelance Journalist specializing in environmental issues and renewable energy
Writer for Renewable Energy Magazine
Sub-editor for Renewable Energy Focus
Contributor to Holmes Digital Media websites (Solar Guide, Renewables Guide, Boiler Guide, Builder Guide)
Contributor to Cleversolar blog and Find Energy Savings
Published in numerous national magazines
See below for writing samples

Friday, 29 October 2010

My article on racial prejudice among US troops in Bristol during WW2 is out now!!

Earlier in the year I approached Britain At War magazine, a title I had been reading regularly for some time, with an idea based on a book I had seen a reference to online. The book was on the subject of racial prejudice suffered by black troops in Britain during WW2 and it happened to mention a riot that had taken place in Bristol in the summer of 1944.
This was an intriguing story, but there didn't seem to be too much detail in the excerpt from the book. I therefore did some preparatory research and uncovered enough material to feel confident in proposing the idea of an article to Britain At War.
After a great deal of research, most of it drawn from the memories of local citizens due to the absence of official records, the article has finally been published in the November 2010 edition of the magazine. Complete with colour photos taken at various relevant sites around Bristol by myself. Following an appeal I made in the Bristol Evening Post, around ten to fifteen local people who maintain memories of US troops in Bristol contacted me and told me their stories. The result is a fascinating insight into a saga that would otherwise would have been forgotten, since the authorities at the time were most anxious to cover up the occurrence of dissent in their own ranks. It would have been ideal propaganda material for the Germans if nothing else, and would also have caused doubt among the public about the ability of the allies to invade mainland Europe successfully, for this tale is set among the backdrop of the preparations for the greatest maritime expedition in modern history, the D-Day landings in 1944. You can buy the magazine now in Smiths and all good newsagents, price £4.10.

1 comment:

  1. Any educator can chance to find basic concepts of modern days culture, using cognition as well as imagination. But anyone at every university expects to get immediately an essay at http://papersmart.net/buy-essay.html in short time he or she can use this creative writing company for students from any country they live in. As educational institutions are getting more demanding every year, majority of them, including me, would like to get the order delivered on time.

    ReplyDelete