About Me

My photo
Weston Super Mare, Somerset, United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Robin Whitlock. I am a freelance journalist with a special interest in environmental issues and renewable energy. I have numerous published articles to my credit and write regularly for a number of renewable energy websites. I am also a writer for Renewable Energy Magazine and a sub-editor for Renewable Energy Focus. I am currently based in Bristol, UK. Besides renewable energy and green issues I have a wide variety of other interests which includes World War 2, mythology and folklore, gardening, railways and lots more besides. You can also reach me on either of my two email addresses, which are: robinwhitlock66@hotmail.com and robinwhitlock1966@gmail.com Thanks!

Hire Me!!

Hire Me!! - Freelance Journalist specializing in environmental issues and renewable energy
Writer for Renewable Energy Magazine
Sub-editor for Renewable Energy Focus
Contributor to Holmes Digital Media websites (Solar Guide, Renewables Guide, Boiler Guide, Builder Guide)
Contributor to Cleversolar blog and Find Energy Savings
Published in numerous national magazines
See below for writing samples

Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Can ideas be copyrighted?

In a word, no. The classic case demonstrating this is the well-known Baigent, Leigh & Lincoln case of 2006 which was completely rejected by the court.

The reason why I am mentioning this is that there are some people out there who will consider someone else writing on the same subject as they are as 'stepping on their turf'. I have just had exactly this experience, probably not helped, I admit, by my use of the word 'collaboration' when actually I wished to cite, that is to say, reference his work. This prompted the accusation that I was essentially asking him to 'hand over' over the products of his hard work, something that had certainly never entered my mind at all and something I would never dream of doing. I am not, and never will be, in the business of, essentially, 'stealing other people's work', but I am very keen to reference and promote projects in order to help publicise them. First of all, its newsworthy stuff, and secondly its always good to do other people a favour by celebrating interesting and worthy projects. Isn't that what journalists do? Or am I missing something here?

One flaw in my personality that I will admit to is a bit of a fiery temper. I thus engaged in a lengthy email argument when actually I should have just thrown his reply in the 'spam' folder, completely ignored him and just got on with writing the article using alternative sources that I had already identified anyway.

The moral of this story is that there are people out there who, for some reason, believe they alone have the exclusive right to research, investigate and write about a particular topic. It's the writers equivalent of a farmer shouting at walkers to 'get orf my land'. They will react to such incursions on their territory by launching an attack.

The best reaction, which admittedly is hard to do if you have a bit of a fiery temper like mine, is to just ignore and get on with it anyway. Providing you are not plagiarising other people's work, you have every right to write about whatever subject you wish to.

And if they have a problem with that it is just tough basically.

4 comments:

  1. Yippeee…dude, I feel like walking over and giving you a big bear hug. Thank you for taking time to tell me all about freelance job opportunities. Can you give some advice on where I can upload my stuff? I am a wannabe music composer and have quite a few original pieces that I am eagerly waiting to sell. I hit upon some cool sites like sell my creative graphic design,online typing jobs. Do you know of more such places on the internet where there are people to buy my work? Just can’t wait to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Robert, music is not my specialty, MySpace perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this great information and it's really great to ready. The best essay writing service can help students to write their essays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post offers some great information and it can be taken as just another art that students would learn and implement in their academic writing task where it sounds appropriate or suitable.

    ReplyDelete