About Me

My photo
Weston Super Mare, Somerset, United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Robin Whitlock. I am a freelance journalist with a special interest in environmental issues and renewable energy. I have numerous published articles to my credit and write regularly for a number of renewable energy websites. I am also a writer for Renewable Energy Magazine and a sub-editor for Renewable Energy Focus. I am currently based in Bristol, UK. Besides renewable energy and green issues I have a wide variety of other interests which includes World War 2, mythology and folklore, gardening, railways and lots more besides. You can also reach me on either of my two email addresses, which are: robinwhitlock66@hotmail.com and robinwhitlock1966@gmail.com Thanks!

Hire Me!!

Hire Me!! - Freelance Journalist specializing in environmental issues and renewable energy
Writer for Renewable Energy Magazine
Sub-editor for Renewable Energy Focus
Contributor to Holmes Digital Media websites (Solar Guide, Renewables Guide, Boiler Guide, Builder Guide)
Contributor to Cleversolar blog and Find Energy Savings
Published in numerous national magazines
See below for writing samples

Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Moronic attitude to journalists on protests

Some journalists feel equally annoyed at how things are in the country as protesters on demos are, but it seems that some protesters, particularly the anarchist fringe, forget that fact. More to the point, there is widespread concern among journalists about police attempts to seize source material, and the sector is widely trying to increase protection for journalists when police officers make such demands. Why? Because a democratic society and a free, independent press depends on it.

But instead of trying to understand that, and the position that journalists, are in, suddenly we get tosh like this from some real mud-heads, advocating attacks on anyone with a camera, particularly journalists.








Fortunately, I don't cover protests (my thing is renewable energy, transport and a few other relevant topics), but I sometimes, on the odd occasion, carry a camera with me when I feel sympathy towards a particular cause and there just happens to be a demo going on about it. According to the tosh this anonymous poster has written, this would make me a legitimate target for attack, or indeed, anyone attending such events as a protester with a camera.

Thankfully, the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) and the Photographers Council have both now been approached, or will be shortly, by journalists requesting a strong response to this.

However, in the meantime, anyone attending a march with a camera, be careful. It seems there are some real nutjobs out there and you need to look out for them, or more importantly, yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment